The Intramural Open Game- Maverick CrossFit
So as you know, the 2017 CrossFit Open is coming up very quickly. One of the questions I get asked every year is whether or not the Open is worth participating in. I get it! If you know you aren’t super competitive and the likelihood of getting to Regionals is the same as the Olympics — is it worth spending the money? My answer to this is always “it depends on some things.”
For me, the Open has always represented the opportunity to compete with myself. I love how challenging the workouts are, how they push me to exceed my comfort level and also cheer on and motivate my Maverick family. For me, it’s always been worth it from that perspective.
But when I stumbled across The Intramural Open Game, there was no doubt — this looks FUN!
Fun, collaborative competition to make the Open workouts a little more relevant to our community and a chance to get to know your fellow athletes better.
How it’s done
- We chose four captains. They are:
- Ricky Connor
- James Mcclane
- Brittany Campos
- Thomas Prasad
- Each captain will choose a name and be assigned a Facebook group, with us (owners) as Admins with them. We will also create one more (5 total) for the Captains themselves.
- We will divide our competitive athletes among the four teams with a Draft.
We will present the Captains with a list of athletes already registered for the Open on draft day. Each is allowed to “protect” two athletes–mostly spouses or best friends–for their team. The rest are thrown into a hat. Once the competitive athletes are assigned, we will then do a “snake order” draft.
- Immediately after the draft, the rest of the community is open for recruitment. Captains can bribe, coerce or otherwise attempt to sign up any member of their team. Members sign up officially (games.crossfit.com) or via this sign-up. Captains must report the recruitment of each athlete to the Captains Facebook group so two teams don’t lay claim to the same person.
- Because scoring favors the largest team, we have a recruitment limit to keep things even. Any team can recruit up to 25 members, but must then wait for other teams to recruit 25 members before recruiting more.
- We encourage teams to celebrate their spirit with shirts, noisemakers, etc. Extra points can be awarded to teams who show amazing spirit!
- In the event we need to level outscoring/tie-break, we will add the sixth event of our choosing. Stay tuned!
Speaking of points…
- +1 Point – Attendance: every member of a team that completes an Open workout at Maverick each week earns one point. Maximum one point per athlete per workout. This goes for Rx AND Scaled competitors!
- +1 Point – Top 3: every male AND female member who places among the Top 3 at Maverick for each workout (Rx only) gets an extra point for their team.
- +5 Points (team) – Spirit: The team with the most noise, pride, and PRESENCE each week will receive 5 bonus points.
- +5 Points (bonus) – 6th workout: -if needed.
1. All regularly-scheduled classes on Fridays during the Open will complete the Open workouts. Athletes can attend any class and score points for their Intramural team.
2. The “main” event for Open Workouts is Friday evening every week.
4. See our CrossFit Open post about judging and scheduling a time to complete the workout if these times do not align with your schedule.
Admission fee for the Intramural Open is simply the athlete’s registration on the Games site should they choose to go “official.” While we encourage you to register, we still believe it should be optional.
TBD — we want to make the prizes relevant to the teams that form with the draft!
So there you have it! This is our first year doing this and we are super excited! Coach Jeff will be your go-to for all things Intramural. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to him, or get with us on Facebook or E-mail.
2017 01 11